Monday, January 9, 2012

Coconut Rice

 My version


The first time I made coconut rice for my husband, he wasn't even willing to taste it. He had previously had it a couple of times and never liked it. I had to convince him to try mine and when he did, he went "Mmmm.. super!" :) What more could have I asked for?

Trust me, even if you aren't a big fan of coconut rice or for that matter any rice dish, this recipe will change it all for you. Satisfaction guaranteed.. :)


Ingredients :







90% cooked Basmati rice
-

1 cup
Coconut oil
-

2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds
-

1/2 teaspoon
Dried red chillies
-

2-3 nos.
Curry leaves
-

2 stems
Asafoetida powder
-

a pinch
Slit Cashew nuts
-

4-5nos.
Raisons
-

1 tablespoon full
Grated fresh coconut
-

1/2 cup
Salt
-

To taste.

The magic of this recipe is in the tempering. For me, the key to the magical transformation of any Indian dish is the tempering (tadka / thalikkal). The crackling of spices in oil or ghee, and the aroma it diffuses, carries me to a state of ecstasy. Anyone who walks into my house is dragged into the kitchen, so as to check what's cooking..

Tempering is either done before or after the cooking process. But, I personally prefer it at the beginning. Somehow I feel that, that is when the essence, aroma and flavour of spices and herbs are infused into the dish.



Preparation Method :
In a wok, heat coconut oil. Crackle the mustard seeds.
Add the red chilli, curry leaves and then the asafoetida powder. 
Add the cashew nuts and raisins and fry till the raisins puff up and begin to brown slightly.
Then, add half of the coconut and give a quick stir just to diffuse the aroma of the coconut.
Add the rice, rest of the coconut and salt to taste and mix well. As easy as that :)

You can garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves or just serve it the way it is, simple.
Kids are going to love this dish. This can be eaten as it is. I like it with rasam and yogurt and my husband loves it with dal.

Serves two




Try it, and let me know how it worked for you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.. :) Write to me here..