Friday, January 13, 2012

Upma

Exclusively my version


I know many who hate Upma. But try this one, it's a twist from the traditional method. I myself never liked it as a child. Maybe that was why I tried figuring out why and developed this personalized style. I have a spicy version and a sweet version. This is the spicy version.

Ingredients :







Semolina
-

1 cup
Coconut oil
-

2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds
-

1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds
-

1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder
-

a pinch
Dried red chillies
-

2-3 nos.
Curry leaves
-

2 stems
Peanuts
-

2 tablespoons
Ginger, finely chopped
-

1/2 teaspoon
Green chilli
-

1 no.
Carrots
-

1/2 cup
Beans
-

1/2 cup
Salt
-

To taste
Turmeric powder
-

1/4 teaspoon
Kasoori methi
-

1 teaspoon
Water
-

2 cups




I like my upma dry and colourful :) Yup, when I say colourful, I mean with some fresh carrots and beans. I've heard some people ask, "what's curry for upma?" I can't figure why we need curry with upma. It's delicious as it is. I like it with banana and a cup of strong tea. 

Preparation Method :

In a wok, heat coconut oil. Crackle the mustard seeds.
Add the cumin seeds, asafoetida powder, dried red chillies, curry leaves and peanuts. Sauté for a minute.

The magical tempering
Then add the ginger, green chilli and vegetables.



Add some salt and turmeric powder. 




Add the kasoori methi and sauté for 2 minutes on medium-high.



Then, pour in the water and let it boil.



Once the water boils, add the semolina and stir vigorously until the semolina absorbs all the water. Then, keep sautéing for a minute or two. 



Upma Ready!!


My house smells so good already.. Mmm..  :)
You can garnish with fresh chopped coriander leaves or just serve it like this. Like I said, try with banana and tea.


I can guarantee this will be a super hit. What are you waiting for? Try it right away!

Serves 3-4


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.. :) Write to me here..